It's Spring! The baby animals are being born and flowers are blossoming. This Christian holiday is celebrated with food. Food food food. For some reason chocolate gets mega cheap and everyone eats loads of it, why are chocolate eggs so cheap? This is a celebration for me because its a 4 day weekend so I thought it would be lovely to make a batch of hot cross buns. Fruity and sweet hot cross buns, simple easy good food.
(You may want to have a book/zine handy, you'll find there is lots of bun rising time).
THE BUN RECIPE
Ingredients: (makes aprox 20 buns)
625mg STRONG flour
2 tspn mixed spice powder
45g butter/soya spread
1 lemon zest
1 egg (use no-egg for a dairy free alternative)
150ml milk (cow or any dairy free alternative)
1 1/2 tbsp yeast
125g dried fruit
1 plastic bag
a large baking tray
1. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and crumble in the butter (make sure the butter isn't too hard).
2. Make a well in the center, add the sugar, lemon zest and yeast.
3.Beat in the egg and pour in the milk. This should form a bread like dough. (Add water to your mixture if its too wet).
5. Work and knead your dough for 5 minutes adding in your dried fruit.
6. Grease a large warm bowl with butter and place your dough inside with a tea towel over the top, in a warm place for an hour.
7. Read and tea break.
8. Knead and knock your dough about for a few minutes then put back into the bowl for a further 30 minutes.
9. Brake the dough into about 20 pieces and roll each piece into a bun shape then cover with your tea towel and rest for 10 minutes.
10. Grease your baking tray and place your buns onto the tray.
TOP TIP: Wrap the bun covered tray in baking paper and put a plastic bag around it, seal so not air will get in for the last rising.
11. Leave your buns to rise for 40 minutes and set your oven to 240oc.
12.Mix 2 tbsp of flour with 2 tbsp of water and mix into a paste. Make a small paper cone with your baking paper and pipe a cross on top of each bun.
13. Finally pop your buns in to the oven for 8-12 minutes and once they are golden brown bring them out and brush with golden syrup immediately.
Happy Easter feasting!
How did the buns go down?
I'm looking for a great bun recipe with chocolate and orange. If you have one please tweet it my way.